The sudden onset of toothache is exceptionally agonizing, deplorable, and additionally it can happen at whatever time. At such circumstances, clove oil can help you to calm the agony. Its advantages are endless, however it is transcendently utilized for dental care. However, this is not a treatment that will stop the toothache for all time, it will most likely decrease the torment for quite a while.
Toothache can be a consequence of bacterial infection, decay, cracked teeth, or some infection that has reached the root. A clove oil compression helps a person to get immediate relief. It is mandatory that you visit a dentist when you suffer from severe pain. However, you can use clove oil for tooth pain as a temporary treatment, until you get your dentist’s appointment.
Dental Uses of Clove Oil
Eugenol is the chief content of the clove oil, which is a natural antibacterial agent and pain killer. It has been used since centuries to treat toothaches. This oil is prepared from the bud of a clove tree, with the process of steam distillation. It has a number of beneficial properties, that include antiseptic, antifungal, carminative, antiviral, germicidal, etc. Dentists have been using it as one of the major ingredients for toothache relieving medications. A mixture of clove oil and zinc oxide has been used widely by dentists, as a temporary filling to calm the toothache. Regular use of clove oil can also prevent mouth ulcers and plaque. Many toothpastes and mouthwashes contain this ingredient, since it has a good aroma. It also provides temporary relief to the patient, in case of infections.
Clove oil, when used in undiluted form causes burning, nerve or tissue damage. Thus, always use its diluted form. You can mix it with olive oil for this purpose. Moreover, if it is consumed in large doses, it can cause seizures, kidney failure, vomiting, liver damage, etc. Clove oil should not be used by people having bleeding disorders, diabetic patients, small children, and pregnant ladies. Even people having liver and kidney problems should avoid its use.
Clove oil is easily available at all the pharmacy stores. Thus, you can purchase and keep one bottle with you.
- First prepare a mixture of clove oil and olive oil. To prepare this mixture add 3 drops of pure clove oil to one-fourth teaspoon of olive oil.
- Now, take a small cotton ball and soak it in this mixture.
- Before compressing the oil, rinse your mouth thoroughly and remove food residue from the mouth, if any.
- Then take the soaked cotton and place it near the aching tooth. If the aching tooth is one of your back teeth, then hold the cotton between your upper and lower teeth.
- Hold the cotton in the position for as much time you can.
- You will feel a gradual decrease in the pain. Since, toothache can be a result of various reasons, you must visit a dentist immediately to fix the problem.
This was some brief information on clove oil for tooth pain. It is recommended, that though you get a relief from the toothache with the help of clove oil, you should consult a dentist to treat the underlying dental problem, as soon as possible.